Nature of Work
The Sanitary System Supervisor is a supervisory and technical position engaged in the planning, construction, maintenance, and logistics related to the sanitary sewer system. Typical job duties may include, but are not limited to: leading, managing and directing the work of assigned employees; serving as the City's sanitary system subject-matter expert; coordinating the efforts of external consultants and City employees/departments performing sanitary system work through effective communication, budget management, and project planning; and working effectively as part of the Water Reclamation Plant leadership team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
*Lead, manage and direct the work of assigned employees.
- Oversee and coordinate the work for employees assigned to perform operational and maintenance work on the sanitary system.
- Supervise employees through assigning work, evaluating work performance, mutually setting goals and objectives, training, and adhering to rules, regulation and contracts as they pertain to assigned employees.
- Participate in recruitment, hiring, and orientation processes for new employees.
- Ensure that employee conduct is in compliance with departmental and City policies and procedures. Collaborate with the division manager and human resources to resolve employment issues.
- Conduct regular team meetings to facilitate information sharing, seek employee input, and provide employee training.
- Provide performance management feedback to assigned employees; including developing work performance plans, career development plans and training and mentoring programs.
*Serve as the City's sanitary system subject-matter expert.
- Recommend maintenance and repair project programming and phasing, needs assessment, and varying repairs to key decision makers.
- Develop standard operating procedures for employees; train employees on proper procedures when completing sanitary system work.
- Attend meetings related to the sanitary system; provide recommendations and make decisions as appropriate.
- Respond to customer inquiries/complaints regarding the sanitary system.
*Coordinate the efforts of external consultants and City employees/departments performing sanitary system work through effective communication, budget management, and project planning.
- Coordinate interfacing between consultants, sanitary system employees, and engineering division employees as it relates to completing sanitary system work efficiently, accurately, and within budget.
- Work collaboratively with City staff to identify work needs; assign/perform work tasks for the betterment of the sanitary system.
- Manage the operating budget; work with City staff to plan capital improvement projects.
- Evaluate work being performed by consultants and work to minimize consultant fees when appropriate.
Perform other duties as assigned or necessary.
This position is open until filled with priority consideration given to applications received by December 16, 2016
For more information and to apply online, visit our website, www.rochestermn.gov.