| UTC Aerospace Systems is one of the world’s largest suppliers of technologically advanced aerospace and defense products. We design, manufacture and service systems and components and provide integrated solutions for commercial, regional, business and military aircraft, helicopters and other platforms. We are also a major supplier to international space programs.|
Our Landing Systems Business Unit designs, tests and manufactures a wide range of fully integrated landing systems. Innovative technology includes the proprietary DURACARBÂ® carbon friction material. DURACARB provides operators with an average 35 percent longer brake life over competing carbon materials, exceptional braking performance, and significant weight savings over high capacity steel brakes.
Advanced technologies and precision engineering are used to develop the brakes to excel in the competitive airline environment. These factors combine to provide lower total cost of operation, ease of maintainability, and reliability to our customers.
We have an immediate opening for a Quality Manager at our Carbon Facility in Spokane, Washington.
(This replaces position posting 31462BR)
This position contributes to the company mission and is essential to the general flow of work for the entire Strategic Business Unit (Landing Systems). The primary focus of this position includes strategic planning and implementation of quality activities for Carbon Operations and the Spokane facility as well as management of the Spokane Quality Department to provide assurance that Carbon’s products meet customer and FAA requirements, and interface with the other Carbon Operations Facilities and major customers. This role will also be looked upon as an interdepartmental liaison for Spokane, our other Carbon Sites (Pueblo, CO/Santa Fe Springs, CA) and our Landing Systems HQ in Troy, Ohio.
The primary duties and responsibilities of this role include:
• Management of Quality Engineering, Inspection, Calibration, Dynamometer, Auditing, Test Lab and Configuration Control functions to ensure carbon quality meets customer and FAA requirements.
• Assure the preparation, retention, and control of all objective evidence of conformance to requirements including records of inspection, test, process control, audit, etc.
• Conduct and/or supervise studies to determine the cause, effect, and corrective measures necessary to remedy quality deviations.
• Plan, organize, and coordinate implementation of quality improvement activities.
• Accountable for establishment and control of an annual budget for the Quality Department.
• Enforces compliance to UTAS Internal Policies (e.g. Business Conduct, EEOC, EH&S, Security, etc.) within the Quality Department.
• Responsible and accountable for setting departmental short and long-term objectives that support and meet the strategic long-term objectives of the business.
• Manage capital projects within and across departments and/or business units.
• Accountable for the control of output, control of quality performance, budget development and spending, labor efficiency, and human utilization to provide a continuous reduction in product cost and a corresponding increase in quality and on-time-delivery.
• Responsible for evaluating subordinates’ performance.
• Define/communicate duties, responsibilities, authority, and accountability of all direct reports. Identify training needs, nurture, challenge and develop all direct/ indirect reports in their positions and preparing them for career opportunities.
• Create and implement new techniques and procedures including development and the implementation of process improvement methods in the assigned areas.
• Responsible for coordination of activities inside and outside the assigned areas of the Quality Departments including adherence to purchase order requirements.
• Consults with all segments of management responsible for policy or action and ensures compliance within area of responsibility. Provides recommendations for improving effectiveness of policies and procedures.
• Reviews and interprets UTAS, customer and FAA specifications and requirements for product acceptance.
• Perform and oversee basic quality functions (i.e. internal and external audits, assisting in conducting corrective action investigations) necessary to support areas.
• Establish business objectives, set Departmental goals (cost, quality, etc.) and assist in removing obstacles to complete those goals.
• Interaction with the FAA, Troy Quality and Engineering Organizations, and other Carbon Products Quality and Engineering organizations.
• Drive program issues to a resolution
• Provide decisions on the acceptability of material as far as meeting fit, form, or function.
• Manage and assure the site’s Quality Clinic program is effective and maintain its certification status.
• Provides leadership to Quality and manufacturing organizations on product compliance, customer, and UTAS business expectations
The ideal candidate will have the following combination of education and experience:
• Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Management, or Engineering Technology, MBA preferred10+ years' experience in a manufacturing or production environment, 2-5 years' experience in Quality
• Demonstrated experience managing a team of direct/indirect reports with strong leadership skills.
• Basic understanding of the Carbon Manufacturing Process and plant operations preferred
• Knowledge of and background in AS9100 is preferred
• Skilled in computer applications such as the MS Office Products.
• Basic Mechanical and Electrical understanding.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Strong work ethic and motivation and ability to work with limited supervision.
• Ability to problem solve, exercising creativity with practical solutions.
• Sound administrative skills.
• Proven ability to recruit, train, and motivate personnel in order to balance staffing strength with profitability and growth
• Ability to pass pre-employment physical and drug screen
• Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in the English language
• Must be able to verify U.S. Person Status as defined by International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
If interested, please apply online at http://track.tmpservice.com/ApplyClick.aspx?id=2408299-2019-55100