The City of Austin, Austin Transportation Department seeks an experienced ITS Engineer (Job Title: Consulting Engineer) to serve as the City of Austin’s Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Engineer. The ideal candidate will manage the new 200 mile communications network and technology projects. This reliable communications network is essential for the city and its partners (e.g. Capital Metro, TxDot) to extract the value from investments in the City’s Advanced Transportation Management Systems (e.g.) transit signals. Position will be responsible for:
- Managing the City’s ITS network including 200+ miles of fiber optic cable
- Planning and managing the expansion of the signal communication network
- Creating a master communication plan to increase network reliability by providing redundant communication to the City’s traffic signals
- Managing the deployment of all ITS devices including CCTV cameras, dynamic message signs, IP network switches, travel time sensors, etc.
- Partnering with other agencies to deploy/expand various programs including transit signal priority, emergency vehicle pre-emption, Center to center, and others.
- Partnering with other agencies to establish regional communication system for the transfer of traffic data.
Position requires at least eight (8) years of related engineering experience either before or after licensure related to traffic engineering and communication system deployment. Applicant must have a Texas Professional Engineering license or if licensed in another state, the applicant must have the ability to obtain reciprocity in Texas within six (6) months of hire date. Applicant must also have or have the ability to obtain a Texas driver’s license prior to starting work at the City of Austin.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION, applicants MUST apply on-line at www.austincityjobs.org
Position Number 106745. If you have questions about the position, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Position has excellent benefits and a retirement plan.
Austin, Texas has a population of 867,000, making it the 11th largest city in the country. This vibrant and dynamic city tops numerous lists for business, entertainment and quality of life. One of the country’s most popular, high-profile “green” and culturally dynamic cities was selected as
- the “Best City for the Next Decade” (Kiplinger)
- the “Top Creative Center” in the US (Entrepreneur.com)
- #1 on the “On Numbers Economic Index” as the fastest growing economy
- Austin continues to lead the country with its vision of being the “Most livable City in the country,” emerging as a player on the international scene with such events as the SXSW and Austin City Limits music festivals and Formula I racing as well as being home to companies such as Apple, Samsung, Dell and Seton Healthcare. From the home of state government and the University of Texas, to the “Live Music Capital of the World” and its growth as a film center, Austin has gained worldwide attention as a hub for education, business, health and sustainability. Since 1900, Austin’s population has doubled every 20 years.