The Department of Mechanical and Civil Engineering at Minnesota State University, Mankato is seeking energetic candidates for a full-time, tenure-track position at the rank of assistant or associate professor in geotechnical engineering starting in the Fall semester 2017. The successful candidate will teach undergraduate courses in geotechnical engineering and foundation design, as well as foundational courses as needed by the department such as statics, strength of materials, and capstone design courses. Preference will be given to candidates with a demonstrated commitment to teaching and mentoring undergraduate students, and who have practical experience in the civil engineering profession. The civil engineering program is recognized regionally as a leader in providing an exceptional practice-based civil engineering education with successful graduates around the world. We are committed to teaching, scholarship, student development, and service. The Department has 12 full-time faculty members in mechanical and civil engineering, among which five are civil engineers. The program was established in 2002 and currently has approximately 180 undergraduate civil engineering students. Minnesota State University, Mankato is situated in southern Minnesota, about 70 miles southwest of the metropolitan area of Minneapolis / St. Paul, with about 15,000 students. Additional information on Minnesota State University, Mankato can be found at: http://www.mnsu.edu.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Teach undergraduate courses in geotechnical engineering.
- Teach fundamental engineering courses.
- Maintain the Geotechnical Engineering laboratory and experiments for instruction and research.
- Develop and maintain an active research program.
- Maintain a 24-credit per year teaching load, some of which may be reduced through buyouts for research.
- Engage students with practical educational and research activities.
- Engage in student development and mentorship.
- Participate in departmental service activities, including undergraduate student advising, program assessment, interaction with prospective students, working with student organizations, etc.
- B.S. in Civil Engineering or a closely related discipline from ABET-accredited (or equivalent) civil engineering program.
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, or a closely related discipline, with an emphasis in geotechnical engineering. (Conferred on an official transcript at the time of application.)
- Minimum three (3) years of teaching and/or industry experience in geotechnical engineering.
- Licensure as a Professional Engineer.
- Experience in developing and teaching laboratory/experimentation courses.
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching and mentoring undergraduate students.
- Demonstrated commitment to university and professional service.
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills.
- Record of research and scholarly activities.
- Expertise complementary to that of existing faculty.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with other departments and/or disciplines in scholarly work.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering a diverse working and learning environment.
Priority consideration given to applications received by January 31, 2017. To apply for this position, please continue the process directly at: http://www.mnsu.edu/hr/vacancy/jobopp.html . A complete online application will include the following attachments. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the search committee.
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Contact information for three (3) references
- Unofficial Transcript(s) of your highest completed degree
*Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Inter Faculty Organization which can be found at: http://www.hr.mnscu.edu/contract_plans/index.html.
AA/EOE and a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.