City of Austin, Austin Transportation Department
The Austin Transportation Department’s Active Transportation Division within the City of Austin has a Graduate Engineer A or B opening for a full time (temporary) active transportation designer (bikeways and walkways). This position will assist in the implementation of the Imagine Austin Comprehensive Plan through the development of a comfortable and connected pedestrian and bicycle network. The Division focuses on the planning, design and implementation of pedestrian and bicycle facilities as well as education and encouragement programs that promote walking and bicycling. This position will work with a small team of designers that focus on bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure design and implementation within the City of Austin.
Graduate Engineer A or B will perform the following specific duties for a diverse array of projects:
- Feasibility studies
- Data collection and field work
- Peer review; plan review
- Managing public processes
- Project implementation oversight
- Review layout quality in the field
- Provide supervision to interns and technicians
These projects will be to create on-street facilities (protected bicycle lanes, conventional bicycle lanes, median islands, pedestrian friendly geometry, rain gardens, etc.) with a focus on innovative design in a largely in retrofit environment. The ideal candidate will bring the following preferred qualifications:
- Experience and interest in the design of bicycle and pedestrian facilities and more generally, multimodal transportation infrastructure
- Familiarity with the state of the practice including the NACTO Urban Street Design Guide, NACTO Urban Bikeway Design Guide, the AASHTO Guide for the Development of Bicycle Facilities, AASHTO Guide for the Planning, Design, and Operation of Pedestrian Facilities and the City of Austin Bicycle Master Plan.
- Excellent communication, team working and problem solving skills
- Excellent computer skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook; etc.
- Excellent communication skills written and verbal, ability to participate or lead community meetings and work with city and community leaders
- Knowledge of the TX MUTCD
Minimum qualifications include a degree in engineering or related field (inclusive of planning, urban design and landscape architecture) and the Graduate B, the higher-level position, requires the Engineer In Training Certification.
To apply and be considered for this position, complete the on-line application and attached a resume and cover letter at https://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/57444. Application deadline is January 17th, 2017.