The Department of City Planning (DCP) promotes strategic growth, transit?oriented development and sustainable communities to enhance quality of life in the City, in part by initiating comprehensive, consensus?based planning and zoning changes for neighborhoods and business districts, as well as establishing policies and zoning regulations. DCP also supports the City Planning Commission in its annual review of approximately 450 land use applications for actions such as zoning changes, special permits and a variety of other discretionary approvals. In addition, the Department assists both government agencies and the public by providing policy analysis and technical assistance relating to housing, transportation, community facilities, demography, zoning, urban design, waterfront areas and public open space.
More specifically, under Housing New York: A Five-Borough, Ten Year Plan, the Department is leading coordinated, ground up neighborhood planning studies and advancing regulatory changes – mandatory inclusionary housing – to promote more economically diverse communities and housing opportunities for New Yorkers at all income levels. Through inclusive community development initiatives with stakeholders, DCP will expand access to quality jobs and services, and stimulate economic development benefitting all New Yorkers. In addition, DCP is committed to expanding public access to land use, housing and population data and planning resources through its online Community Portal, as well as to support informed participation by New Yorkers in neighborhood planning and land use review processes.
The New York City Department of City Planning is a great place to work – cultivating intellectual inspiration, professional development and creativity. Visit our website at www.nyc.gov/planning to access the full listing of job opportunities and to learn more about our great agency.
The Technical Review Division maintains the official City Map and Zoning Map of the City of New York, and performs a range of technical, administrative and engineering tasks related to the analysis, design and review of changes to those Maps. The City Map defines the public realm of New York City, laying out the streets, parks, public places and other designations. The Division also review’s land use applications for changes to the City Map, zoning changes, and special permits, which facilitate the construction of millions of square feet of housing, commercial space, and open space per year. Interfacing with the development community and with planners across the Agency, Technical Review Planners develop and utilize in-depth expertise in zoning, design, plan review, and land use process.
The Chief Engineer will be responsible for maintaining the City Map and for a range of technical and administrative engineering tasks related to the analysis, design and review of changes to the City Map. The Chief Engineer will also provide technical assistance and data to applicants, elected officials, public agencies and other City Planning technical and executive staff.
Under the supervision of the Director and Deputy Director of Technical Review, with great latitude for the exercise of independent judgement, the Chief Engineer will act as the custodian of the City Map and the analysis, review and preparation of portions of the City Map. The Chief Engineer will:
- Conduct, with staff support, review and maintenance of the City Map and related tasks.
- Consult with and review the work of private surveyors and engineers with respect to the production of alteration maps.
- Provide technical assistance and advice to private applicants and department staff on the laying out of street systems, parks, and related features and the preparation of alteration maps.
- Prepare, sign and affix his/her professional seal to alteration maps prepared for signature by the Director of City Planning.
- Coordinate the standardization of symbols, protocols and conventions in the preparation of alteration maps.
- Work with the Technical Review Division, City Planning offices and other City agencies in the conversion of the paper-based City Map into a unified city-wide map in digital format.
- May supervise small team of professional planners.
- Perform related tasks.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to monitor and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously, meet strict deadlines and quickly respond to Departmental priorities.
- Strong attention to detail in research, analysis, and review of written materials and plans
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with different personalities and roles; supervisory experience and/or project leadership a plus.
- Experience with maintaining or amending the City Map of the City of New York is a plus.
- Experience with development and land use review processes is a plus
TO APPLY: ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED THROUGH THE NYC JOBS WEBSITE
City Employees – Click here and log in to ESS.
Non-City Employees – Go to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/
- Search for job ID number: 275692
- Click on the job business title: Chief Engineer
- Click on “Apply Now” at the bottom of the posting
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted
Appointments are subject to Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approval.
Authorization to work in the United States is required for this position.
THE DEPARTMENT OF CITY PLANNING IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND A COPY OF THE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROGRAMS IS AVAILABLE IN THE HUMAN CAPITAL DIVISION. THE DEPARTMENT MAKES AVAILABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR DISABLED APPLICANTS.