Location: Sacramento, California
Type: Full Time
Salary: 128,220 to 169,836
Years of Experience:
This position intends to fill a two year limited term position.
SMUD is a leader in clean energy and carbon reduction. This is an exciting time to join SMUD as key member of the Project Development Team in our Power Generation Department helping reach our ambitious goal of zero carbon emissions in our power supply by 2030 - the most ambitious goal of any large utility in the United States.
Power Generation is seeking a strong, experienced project manager to manage the design, installation, integration, interconnection, contracting for services, contract management, construction and commissioning of energy storage projects.
As a Senior Project Manager, you will manage fast-paced projects installing, integrating and interconnection long duration energy storage projects. The ideal candidate will have experience in development of the scope of work and management of EPC contracts and equipment procurement contracts for electrical power projects, ideally with energy storage vendors. This position requires a high degree of coordination with both internal and external parties to SMUD.
Nature and Scope
Serves as a technical or functional expert or consultant providing expertise and/or direction in one or more areas of a professional discipline and assumes responsibility for resolving complex problems and overseeing complex projects. May also serve in a Lead role and assist in planning, coordinating, prioritizing, monitoring, and evaluating the work results in assigned area and in selecting, training, motivating, evaluating, and developing lower-level personnel.
This role typically oversees/leads one or more large, complex projects. This role may supervise PMs and a team supporting portfolios, Substations, Data Co-Lo, Large Overhauls Power Generations. Manages enterprise/OAT projects with budgets in excess of $10,000,000.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages activities and projects in assigned area; develops necessary project plans, cost estimates, project budgets, work breakdowns and schedules, and project summary descriptions and justifications for department, SMUD, and/or multi-utility or agency review.
- Ensures integrated planning and cooperation by internal/external partners or stakeholders to support successful completion of assigned projects; coordinates project planning with other departments and entities through meetings and shared written and oral reporting and communications; provides leadership and coordination with other utilities and agencies as required.
- Ensures the availability of timely and accurate project planning information on SMUD projects; collects, verifies, organizes, and maintains data; prepares and provides written summaries, reports, and recommendations for SMUD projects; responds verbally or in writing to routine and time-critical inquiries on projects from SMUD Board, regulatory bodies, other utilities, public agencies, and other SMUD departments.
- Ensures assigned work activities successfully contribute to the overall completion of department projects; plans, coordinates, prioritizes, monitors, guides, reviews, and conducts work activities associated with department internal/external projects in accordance with established task objectives and schedule as outlined in the project plans.
- Ensures that project team members and contractors work methods, technical methodologies, and problem-solving methods meet SMUD policies and quality standards and contract terms; provides project guidance to project team members and contractors to develop unique solutions that address new or difficult problems on projects; directs preparation of verbal and written reports on technical problems.
- Represents SMUD’s positions, priorities, and interests on multi-agency projects and to various industry, government, interest groups, and regulatory bodies.
- Provides leadership and direction for assigned tasks in order to meet defined unit goals and schedules and comply with SMUD schedule, quality, quantity, safety, and performance standards; plans, coordinates, prioritizes, monitors, and guides work activities of project team members to meet established task objectives and deadlines by following established policies and precedents; communicates with team members and incorporates their input to processes and techniques; promotes safety and a safe work environment; assists in evaluating work performance results; participates as a team member in accomplishing objectives; refers problems to supervisory staff when solutions are not readily achievable.
- Performs related duties as required.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field directly related to area of assignment or equivalent experience. If no degree, eleven (11) years of experience is required.
Required Experience Qualifications
- Seven or more (7+) years of progressively responsible relevant project management work experience in the power industry that includes significant experience in project leadership, management and outside agency interface or inter-utility project involvement.
Project Management Institute PMP Certification
Acceptable alternative education or certification include:
- Project Management Institute - ACP Agile Certified Practitioner
- Engineering Degree, and requisite experience
- Construction Mgmt Degree, and requisite experience
- Professional Engineer Certification, and requisite experience
- Construction Mgmt Certification, and requisite experience
Five or more years' experience in the following areas:
- Experience in project management and construction of Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS).
- Electrical engineering knowledge of balance of plant design associated with BESS and/or electrical power projects.
- Development and administration of Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contracts for BESS projects.
- Developing scope for work for contracts and for task orders, administering and managing external contractors in support of BESS projects.
- Managing a design review process where contractor submittals are evaluated for compliance with project technical requirements.
- Coordination with all the entities (permitting, interconnection, cyber security, telecom, metering, startup and commissioning, etc.) required to deliver a complete and fully functional project.
Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) - Who We Are
As the nation's sixth-largest community-owned electric service provider, we're proud of our reputation as one of the best places to work in Sacramento. Our employees tell us in our engagement surveys they're "Happy, satisfied and engaged" which helps create a workplace that best serves our customers. Sacramento was named as the 2nd happiest place to work in America by Forbes Magazine. Lake Tahoe, San Francisco and the world-renowned Napa Valley are within easy driving distance of our locations.
California Equal Pay Act
Diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are a part of who we are and how we do things. Supporting efforts that promote pay equality is part of that. Salary placement for the selected candidate will be determined in alignment with the California Equal Pay Act or the applicable MOU. Determination for salary placement of internal candidates will be made without respect to current classification or compensation, and will be based upon the candidate's qualifications as compared to those performing substantially similar work. In the event there is a guaranteed pay progression outlined in an applicable MOU, the MOU takes precedence.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
SMUD respects, values and celebrates the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. Diversity and inclusion are guiding principles to deliver a culture that reflects the broader values of the community and our customers. Our Board's policy for Employee Relation sets our commitment to developing and maintaining a high quality, inclusive workplace that engages and inspires employees to commit to SMUD's purpose, vision and values.
This position may be eligible for SMUD's hybrid (office/home) work employee benefit, the schedule of which will be determined by the successful candidate and the Hiring Manager. SMUD takes pride in powering the Sacramento region community where we live and work. We value the strong working relationships we develop with our colleagues. Our approach to hybrid work will continue to evolve. Please be aware that should SMUD’s business needs change, emergencies occur, or various other reasons arise, you may be required to report onsite on a part-time or full-time basis